Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 1 – Traveling Day


Today/Yesterday (since it all kinda blurs together going around the world, was a long one for sure. I started with my flight out of Omaha at 5:45pm on Wednesday. That flight went to Detroit, where I had a one hour layover time, and of course my flight landed at one end of the airport, and my next gate was clear on the other side of this large airport. I really had to hustle to get to the other side and grab some food for supper to take on the flight. That flight was from Detroit to Paris, and it was a seven hour flight, while you also gained 6 more hours from flying that way. It was about 11:20am on the 10th by the time my flight arrived, but unfortunately, the “skyway” (the walkway from the plane into the airport) was “broken,” so I ended up sitting in the plane for another 45 minutes or so. This would have been okay if I had not had only about an hour and a half between flights. Then going through customs in France was ridiculous… I first had to get my boarding pass from the help desk, and she said that I was already late for the check in time, but if I hurried, I could get on it. Yeah right, maybe if there wasn’t a ridiculously long line at customs and I didn’t have to have all my baggage checked again… This alone took about 30 minutes, so I missed that flight. They put me on the next one to Rome, but that wasn’t for another couple hours, so I chilled in the Paris airport for a little bit. When we finally took off on that flight, which took off late, I finally landed in Rome! It was such a relief, but I was confused since I could not find customs to actually check my passport and stuff, so I just somehow ended up outside. I made my way over to get transportation to the hotel and this went fairly well. I was told to take the train, but when I got to the area to buy the ticket, the lady told me to just ride this shuttle that would take me right by there. The shuttle bus driver was a little crazy, just like about all the other Italian drivers. We were in one of those tall Mercedes vans and he was just putting the petal to the metal, riding people’s bumpers about 1 foot behind them, not necessarily driving in the defined lanes (which apparently is acceptable here since others were doing the same), and talking on the phone while driving this stick shift van! It was quite the interesting time. A funny moment happened when he was listening to the radio and these guys were speaking Italian and then all the sudden, The Final Countdown by Europe began playing. The reason I thought it was funny was because it was ironic that I was in Europe listening to Europe. Haha! Anyways, then after dropping the other people in the shuttle off at their hotel, he let me off and told me that my hotel was right down this street to the left. Thinking that there would be a good indication for the hotel on the street somewhere, I just wandered down it. I couldn’t find it anywhere down that street, so I began asking around about it. I found the street that it was located on, but couldn’t find the hotel. I wandered up and down that street until I finally asked a policeman sitting in this random booth thing on the side of the road. He then told me it was right down the street from me about 25 meters. I walked over that way, still not perceiving the location of the hotel until he whistled at me and I pointed to these big black doors. Sure enough, there was a little gold sign with our hotel’s name on it, Hotel Mimosa. I buzzed the door and it unlocked. I walked in just as our whole group was standing there with Dr. Erdogmus discussing the plans for dinner, just in time! I quickly changed and we went out as a group to eat and then went and got gelato! I love fruit and I love ice cream/frozen yogurt, and this was like the best of all of those things. I got strawberry and lemon flavors, and it was delicious. Now I am back at the hotel and ready to call it a long, tiring, eventful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment